How it Works on Beacon Hill
Learn about the Massachusetts legislature’s process and how to advocate for the passage of bills.
LWV of the Plymouth Area hosted this event on Thursday, April 1 at 7:00 pm.
Welcome and introduction–Vedna Heywood, Plymouth Area League of Women Voters, Board member of LWV of Massachusetts
Legislative Overview–Jennifer Muroff, League of Women Voters of Needham, Member of the LWV Massachusetts Legislative Action Committee
Moderator: Therese Murray, Former Senate President
- Senator Susan Moran
- Representative Kathleen LaNatra
- Representative Mathew Muratore
- Representative Steven Xiarhos
Jennifer Muroff’s presentation included a number of resources that are available to citizens who want to get information about work going on in the legislature as well as strategies for advocating for important legislation.
- LWVMA Supported Legislation for 2019-20 session updated in April for 2021-22 session: https://lwvma.org/advocacy/league-supported-legislation/
- How the Legislature Works Featuring Beacon BLOC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyQX6Y7MB5k&t=40s
- Demystifying the State Budget featuring Beacon BLOC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeoHKE6-QwY&t=16s
- LWVMA Citizen Lobbyist Handbook: https://lwvma.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Citizen-Lobbyist-LWVMA.FINAL_.pdf
- How a Bill Becomes Law documents
- House leadership https://malegislature.gov/Legislators/Leadership/House
- Senate leadership https://malegislature.gov/Legislators/Leadership/Senate
- Joint Ways and Means https://malegislature.gov/Committees/Detail/J39
Download a copy of Jennifer’s presentation here.